[QuadList] OT: is S-VHS "obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Feb 27 12:02:18 CST 2012

Hi, Walter,

I'm having trouble trying to connect your subject line with the body of the message.

You had mentioned "copyright law."

Perhaps there's some confusion about the type of legal protection involved?

Did you mean, "Patent," which provides protection for processes, and manufactured items (among other things?)

Were you trying to ask whether the makers of current DVD/VHS combo decks don't do a "full S-VHS and S-Video recovery" in order to get around patent protection that may still apply to the S-VHS and/or S-Video processes?

If so, the applicable answer may simply be a matter of manufacturing cost.

It's cheaper to do "Quasi-S-VHS Playback" than to include the ability to do a complete S-VHS demod and processing to S-Video internally and/or to S-Video outputs, and then translate that into a signal that can be recorded on DVD.

More about both here:
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatervideobasics/qt/svideovssvhs.htm

Hope this helps.

Ted

On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Walter Forsberg wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> I'm wondering if anyone might corroborate my impression that there are no DVD/VHS combination decks currently being manufactured that support native output of S-VHS. Looking around, it seems like while S-VHS tapes can be read by some of the combo decks still-in-production, the signal is down-rezzed (terms like "quasi-playback" are used) to VHS levels of resolution.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts!

Fifth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB
12:30pm, Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Lower South Hall REAR food concession area

See us at NAB 2012, April 16-19 in Booth SL-9607
Use code LV2864 for your free NAB Exhibits Pass