[QuadList] OT: is S-VHS "obsolete" in copyright law's eyes?

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:31:57 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Thomas"

>I remember some of the talk around the launch of S-VHS: "It's luminance
>bandwidth is as good as 1" Type-C"!
> Of course the color-under system wouldn't allow for any multi-generation
> work.
>
> Was there any licensed Faroudja technology in S-VHS. Perhaps that could be
> a reason for the lack of S-VHS to DVD recording?

Hi Scott:

I don't know of any tie between the S-VHS format itself and Faroudja.
However, regarding the machines themselves, as with many other products, not
all are created equal.  The JVC "22" series machines did use Faroudja
technology both in Y/C separation and in chroma reproduction.  These are the
same machines that I was asking James about in his opinion of the various
manufacturers.  There may have been others using Faroujda circuitry as well,
but a quick scan of old literature files didn't turn up anything.  Although
multi-generation quality was improved by these machines, it was certainly
less than optimal.  As an acquisition format, first generation playback,
especially when using component outputs to feed the editing format machine
of your choice, was surprisingly good.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com