[QuadList] OT: "Improv Ice" on NBC--16:9 SD uprezzed to 1080i? Hard to watch!

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Jan 15 16:55:19 CST 2012

Am watching HD off air here... (Sony Bravia KDL-40BX421) 40" LCD.

NBC's just now ended skating show, "Improv Ice starring Styx" and it looks like the main program content is 16:9 SD uprezzed to 1080i.

On the skating and interview segments, I see interlace artifacts such as doubled scan lines on graphics and content.  The video lacks clarity compared to certain show interstitial elements, NBC graphics (the bug is clean!) and HD commercials.

Definitely seeing jaggies on diagonals like mike booms. Small lights have an Image Orthicon halo around them.

The show is fresh—recorded in the Bi-Lo Center, Greeneville, SC on Dec. 15, 2011.

Wondering what's amiss here.  Is it actually an SD show uprezzed?  HD with an interlace problem?  Setting out of whack during editing or ingest?

Dunno how the average viewer is taking it... but it makes it hard to watch!

My DTV converter box into a Sony BVM-1910 looks better.

See us at NAB 2012, April 16-19 in Booth SL-9607
Use code 2012 for your free NAB Exhibits Pass