[QuadList] PCM video recorder, Sony F1

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 07:41:16 CST 2012

		On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:04 AM, C. Park Seward wrote

 > I have been contacted by a woman who need some VHS PCM tapes
transferred. Sony had a model "F1" that used a video transport to
record a video signal of the audio. It was very high quality at the
time, almost as good as CD.

		I added:

		On Jan 11, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:

 > A good friend of mine is the recording engineer is the recording
engineer for the School of Music at the University of Georgia.  He
used a Sony PCM recorder for years in the '80s to make masters of
concerts at the school. His model will record in either 14 bit or 16
bit.  Excellent sound, as I recall.  He generally mastered to Betamax,
but sometimes VHS.
 > In fact, he has two of the things.  One that will only output
unbalanced analog audio, and one that will output PCM over an RCA
connection.

 > Sammy Jones
 > Producer
 > Georgia Public Broadcasting

		I explain:

	The early units such as the F1 recorded a 16-bit data stream but only
used 14 bits for audio.  The two extra bits were reserved for error
correction.  Later units used all 16 bits for audio but to maintain
compatibility, they could be switched to 14-bit as well.
		<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcm_adapter>

					     NBC Today Show, New York