[QuadList] OT: "Improv Ice" on NBC--16:9 SD uprezzed to 1080i? Hard to watch!

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jan 17 11:02:14 CST 2012

Dennis,

Thanks for the verification.  Too bad it was done that way.  Made a very artistic and musically interesting show hard to watch. I'm surprised the network let the show's packager do that, since it had NBC Sports branding, if I recall correctly.

In the David Sarnoff era there would have been no black and white content with color interstitials. : )

News segments have wiggle room, since there may be a time crunch to arrange HD origination and backhaul transmission facilities and/or the material may not be available in HD.

Seems odd that a segment originating from Burbank and a 1080i equipped studio would be in 16:9 SD, though.

Such is life today.

Ted