[QuadList] Odd VR-1000

John Fletcher jfletcher at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 30 17:19:03 CST 2012

Dave,

The MM-1000 certainly did NOT use those electronics.  Those ca. 1950
rec/play electronic units were used in mono console Ampex Model 300s.
That chassis pictured on eBay sat beneath the transport, inside an
enclosed metal console.  Those electronics were only ever designed to be
used on a mono tape machine, although I think Ampex did, for a while in
the 1950s, sell a two-track 300 that used a pair of those units.

The MM-1000 used late 1960s era solid-state electronics, originally
designed for the AG-440 series.

I don't know if anyone ever built a 24-track (or even a 16-track) based
on those old 300 electronics, but if someone did... you are correct --
it would have been an absolute power-hungry room-heating BEAST of a
machine!!

- John