[QuadList] Happy Fourth Birthday, QuadList--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Jul 25 12:34:43 CDT 2012

Just a note that the QuadList celebrates its Fourth Birthday, today.

It began in the wee hours of Friday, July 25, 2008 in part to alert folks to an evening event in Los Angeles that featured four Quad videotapes from the UCLA film and television archive.

The event featured BetacamSP playback of the restored version of the oldest color Quad videotape in existence, the WRC-TV/NBC Washington, DC color studio dedication—featuring President Eisenhower...

(Eisenhower at WRC-TV/NBC photo by Ted Langdell)

and the Nixon-Khrushchev debate recorded
49 years earlier on this date, (July 25) 1959.

(Nixon-Kruschev off-tape photo via Don Kent)

A Pre-show dinner was also being set up.

I entered the names and e-mails of 13 other people and then sent this message:

> You're on this list because you either:
>
> •Showed up for the informal event on Tuesday at NAB this year
> •You expressed an interest in response to postings on the TIG, AMIA or Old VTR's lists, or
> •I know you have an interest or passion for Quad video.

The list grew by several subscribers later in the day, a handful more by the 29th and now has 138 receiving postings out of 148 in the list.

Our current QuadList membership includes folks with no Quad experience, some who have trained themselves to run machines or restore them, others who have been editors using Quads on up to to highly experienced engineers with 45 years or more maintaining what some fondly call "these beasts."

Our members seem to be on all continents except Antarctica, unless I'm mistaken thinking we have members on the African continent.

Without checking, I know we have members in the US, Canada, UK, France, India, Australia and New Zealand... and I think we have at least one in South Africa.

Please pipe up if I've missed your whereabouts (or never knew.)

The Quad Videotape Group—largely through the QuadList—has been able to help folks obtain information and assistance in restoring machines to operation and keeping them running, and in safely handling older tapes.

In doing so, that has enabled recovery of content, and has passed on knowledge about Quad.

Because of that, there's a greater possibility of recovering the content from Quad tapes now sitting on shelves or stacked in dark spaces around the world.

Thank you for being part of this ongoing process.

ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in conjunction with the Library of Congress