[QuadList] Grass Valley

Randy Hall listk7age at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:34:33 CDT 2012

David

Did they fly you up in the company plane? The was a great sales tool! It
was great when I came home from an international trip into SF. Clear
customers, call on the white phone for pickup, get on the plane, have a
drink, and be home in GV in 45 minutes. Those were the days....

Yes, I was a Field Engineer 76-82 (1600s, 300s, 440s MKII dves), then into
Engineering on the 100 and 200 switcher projects. Then into a group that
was designing mac based editing around the time Avid was getting started.
We had many projects, but the last on the drawing board was a set of
real-time video/dve/audio cards to plug into the Profile mother board,
which had crosspoints. This was to be real time effects processing along
with the disk channels. The front end was on pc to control the Profile. We
had 26 engineers on the project. I had left that group and moved into a
project management group a couple of months before Tek bought Lightworks
and shut the whole project down, and laid off about half the people.  Now
with Nvision/Miranda, soon to be owned by Belden.

The fellow on the left is Mike Guess. He was probably the product manager
for the switchers back then.

The other fellow was Bob Johnson. He was GVG employee #2. He held many
different positions and was the keeper of the GVG culture. He died years
ago tragically doing what he like doing best, riding his Harley.

I was part of the 200 team, I designed the panel, all on a Mac 512K and
Image Writer dot matrix printer. The E-MEM sequencing was a struggle for
us. What we really wanted to do was a timeline that would jog slaved with
the VTRs from a editor. We just weren't able to do that and ended up with a
poor solution. We sold lots of 200s. I think the first NAB we sold over
125. After the show, there were 40+ job postings to hire 3 shifts
of assembly and test people. Interesting concept in view of the news that
we are reading.

Randy