[QuadList] Deck degaussing--What's the current practice amongQuadList users?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 00:19:15 CDT 2012

Hi Folks,

When two great engineers were developing the last great quad DOC, the second one for the AVR-3, a new non-destructive way to add magnetic dropouts or mag scratches was devised.

Get a section of the rubber magnet material from a old refrigerator door gasket. It's what holds the door closed and causes the gasket to seal. The stuff I have seen and used was about a 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick and could be cut very easily with a sharp knife or a pair of diagonal cutters.
I would keep a piece about the length of a  toothpick (2.5"-3") shaped with a fine point, in my shirt pocket when I was doing a demo. You could make all kinds of dropouts with this and not damage the tape stock, just that recording.

This is what happens when two great VTR engineers have to make a great digital DOC!

What you don't want is any of the rare earth super magnets anywhere around tape products. A un-named NY post house did dubbing on some quads in the basement level in the late 70's and a guy decided to store the razor blade they used to cut tape on one of the metal support columns with a rare earth magnet which just stuck to the Lally column.

That caused so many problems, they finally removed the column and the guy who brought the magnet in to store the razor blade. Take care!

Bye for now, Bill Carpenter