[QuadList] Ampex Quad VTR Airflow Requirements

Roger Brett rcbindy at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 00:11:16 CDT 2012

Hi,
Does anyone have info regarding air system requirements for the typical
Ampex VR series quad machine?  I'm planning the air supply system for
one fairly soon.

It's been quite a while since I maintained one of these, and I don't
seem to have this data on file.

I don't have physical access to the unit yet, but besides the air
bearings on the head, I believe it has a venturi system to generate
vacuum for the guide.  This aspect would of course increase the flow
requirements.

Data I'm trying to get:

- Max (worst case) CFM of airflow needed for bearings and venturi combined
- Nominal air pressure needed at the head bearings for proper operation

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger Brett