[QuadList] OT-Quanta CG's--Link to a Delta CG on-screen sample--Background

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jun 1 00:42:34 CDT 2012

On May 31, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Scott Thomas wrote:

> Quanta made character generators. I used the Delta series.

Here's a 1996 Olympic cut-in clip Scott posted to YouTube that uses the Quanta Delta CG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqRVhxAZZA

Scott says: "For some reason, I saved the last cut-in we produced at WBBH during the 1996 Summer Olympics."

I think it was because of the "whoops" at 3:09 in!

I've used Quanta's Q8 with dual 8" floppys, acquired surplus from the Sacramento Army Depot when it was closed during a BRAC in the early 90s. Power supply apparently had issues and the system would irregularly just shut down.  Reboot required.  Acquired a box of 8" discs at a local RadioShack that had them on the "get rid of" table.  Quanta Service department sent discs with the OS, fonts and a manual, as I recall.

As Steve pointed out the Quanta CG line had several owners.

In 2001, Salt Lake City based ScanLine Technologies, Inc. agreed to sell the Delta CG line, its name and the Quanta name to CompuSonics Video Corp. of Farmington Hills, MI.

By 2002, ScanLine sued CompuSonics, and CompuSonics filed a counterclaim:
http://www.secinfo.com/dNnjr.2z.htm#eq9

No clear dispo on the court case... or what's happened to the CG line.  ScanLine seems to be out of business, while CompuSonics is still "in business" but doesn't seem to have any active products that I could find. No website that seems to be part of this company.