[QuadList] Ampex Quad VTR Airflow Requirements

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 1 09:10:56 CDT 2012

Hi Roger:

The air supply requirement for VR-1100/1200/2000 when equipped with the
venturi update is between 50 & 55 psi at just under 1 scfm.  When properly
adjusted, the head air warning will come on above 55 or below 50 psi, and
the head air interlock will cut out below 40 psi.  Air supply must also be
dry and oil-free.

For a single machine, a compressor that can deliver 1 scfm at 100 psi gives
a comfortable cushion and a reasonable cycle time on the compressor when
using a properly sized tank.  Obviously, there are a number of variations of
scfm/pressure/tank size that will yield acceptable results.

The original Ampex and RCA approach was to use a compressor that was just
slightly oversized, and it ran continuously with a relief valve.  That works
too, but I much prefer a "central air" design, even when using a single
machine.  Beware of cheaper oilless compressors which tend to run very hot
and are not designed for continuous duty.  My preferred brand is Gast, and
you'll find a large variety of compressors if you check their website.  The
rocker style can be used for a single machine, but I still prefer the piston
style and their higher output.  Quietness (a relative term!) may also be a
consideration depending on your situation.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com