[QuadList] Routine Maintenance Procedures

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 14:55:27 CST 2012

We found that if you did certain thing on a routine basis you would prevent
 problems and have a high quality output.  Unfortunately, I do not have any
 of the written procedures anymore so here is a few from memory.

Daily
    Warm up heads for 30 minutes before an edit  session.
    Check timing including H Sync, System Phase,  Burst Phase. and Blanking.
    Make sure the machine has the guide set to an  alignment tape.
    Set the machine up for E-E and playback levels to  match perfectly.
            You  never wanted a client to question the difference between a
record look and a  playback look.  That was money down the drain as the
clock stopped and we  had to do the setup in front of them.  It made us look
bad.

Every 25 Hours of Head Use
    Do a complete demagnetizing of the deck.
    Do Head optimization.
    Verify the amount of tip left on the head.
    Clean all filters.  VR-1200, the ones on the  fan assemblies and the
head blower.  The AVR-2 required the ones on the fan  assemblies in the
console.

Every 100 hours of Head Use
    Do a complete servo alignment.
    AVR-2 would receive a A-D check to reduce the  possibility of stepping.
 i.e. feed ramp into it and set the A-D  Converter pots.
    Do a cleaning of the air system.  Even though  we used the venturies
there was still a cleaning of the filters in the regulator  jars.

About once a year we would check the audio system and the AMTEC, COLORTEC,
and PROC for alignment.  Never had to change anything.

The RCA machines were a little bit different and I can not remember  all
that much.  I will have to get out a book or two to refresh the  memory.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN