[QuadList] VTR drum refurb

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Tue Mar 27 10:42:54 CDT 2012

There's not much more to add to Ted's informative posting except to be aware you might have a bigger job than first appears. The devil is in the details.
i have come across machines that have multiple problems and take quite a lot of time to get repaired. Lucky you have three VPR-6s since you then have a good chance of getting one working.

The material Ampex used for the scanner head drum was very tough and it is probably fine. The NOS heads can be found on ebay or from Videomagnetics.

You will certainly need a set of manuals.

The VPR-6 will be much easier to restore than a 2B, based on my experience.

IMHO you can't get a better playback than a 950 with the built-in TBC.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747