[QuadList] TV Standards

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue May 1 07:10:10 CDT 2012

There were a number of color systems proposed.  The US went to NTSC  first.
 Then the Europeans developed two competing 625 systems,  PAL  and SECAM.
These were both competing with 4.43 MHz NTSC that was being  pushed by RCA
and others.  There are issues with all color systems.   the editing was a
difficult thing when you had a four field color frame in NTSC  and an 8 field
color frame in PAL.

Now after the Europeans had a split decision (based more on politics in my
opinion,) then the rest of the world followed with their choices.

Brazil was the odd ball.  They went with a PAL system for 525 lines  called
PAL-M.  It had to be difficult for manufactures to come up with an  odd
ball piece of equipment for one market only.  As an example. AMPEX made  an
AVR-2 for PAL-M.  The engineering cost of this could only be spread over  a
small number of machines.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 4/30/2012 7:50:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
DennyD1 at verizon.net writes:

On Apr 30, 2012, at 7:53 AM, John  wrote:

> We never used the heterodyne process here in Aus as far as  I know,
but I was looking through the tender documents for our first  VR1100
and at one point it was stated that the machine must be  capable of
being "modified to record and play back an NTSC signal  recorded at 625
lines". Of course this was when PAL was still in the  Lab. Does anyone
know if any work was done running NTSC  on  625?

I offer:

What  you're describing sounds an awful lot like the Brazilian color
TV  standard, a unique version of NTSC.

NBC Today Show, New York

Please trim posts to relevant  info when replying.

Change subject to reflect thread direction.  Thanks.

Send  QuadList list posts to QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com
Your subscribe,  unsubscribe and digest options are  here:
oup.com