[QuadList] Ken Zin/Merlin Restored this VR-1000C--More Photos

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat May 12 14:51:10 CDT 2012

David Crosthwait's April 14th Mystery Quiz posting of this Merlin restored VR-1000 C at NAB...

prompted me to look for the photos Ken Zin sent me of the same machine.  Here's Ken in front of the transport, which is playing what looks like a tape about Quad machines...

Ken advised that the machine was being displayed in the Merlin Engineering Works booth in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of Videotape in 1986-87:

The rebuilding was done at Merlin, where Ken worked for 35 years. John Streets was the boss.

Ken advises, "We display this machine at SMPTE in San Francisco, NAB in Las Vegas and at SMPTE in the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City."

Merlin had CMC rebuild the MK 111 video head.  Tektronix rebuilt the WFM and Conrac rebuilt the picture monitor.

"At Merlin Eng. we completely rebuilt every other item. I worked-non stop for a month on this machine, as the chassis came from different places and the the two racks from a station near Bakersfield, California where they'd been sitting out side for three to four years."

"The proc amp came from one place, the transport  and bridge from some other place.  Many stations gave us the spares that they had, tubes, switches, capacitors, heads, manuals and other parts after they viewed the unit working."

Ken told me over dinner the other night that the machine was sent off to an eastern museum. He recalls it as a New York area organization, while David's post says it went to the Smithsonian.

I'm checking with John Streets to see what he remembers.  Perhaps it's still around.  It would be quite a treat to see this working at NAB in 2016, eh?

Have a good weekend!