[QuadList] Quad Manuals Scanned/Digitized In A Swap

Mr. DC Memories mrdcmemories at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:58:47 CDT 2012

Ted & Park & all,

I've previously hailed the efforts of David Gleason in this forum. He
has reached deep in his own wallet to build a remarkable free online
library of historic broadcasting publications (for both radio and TV,
despite the domain name) at AmericanRadioHistory.com
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/americanradiohistorycom/207035032673171>

David has now offered to scan/digitize Quad manuals, such as those Ampex
Manuals that Dennis McDonald planned to re-cycle, if someone can get
them into his hands. For his efforts, he asks all Quadlist members to
energetically poll their network of fellow engineers to locate even more
historical broadcasting magazines for David to scan/digitize and add to
his site. (Think of it as a scan swap.)

David Gleason wrote:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/americanradiohistorycom/207035032673171>
"I would certainly do that. In fact, I have an Ampex manual on its way
from a group member. He does not want the manual back, so that means I
can shear off the binding and sheet feed the book, meaning 500 pages in
10 minutes or so, and another hour to process and get a good PDF.  I'd
be glad to do that for anyone, and give them a PDF ready to put on their
computer or a DVD. If they want the binding intact and the material
returned, it takes a lot of work..... 500 pages by hand on the Book Pro
library scanner is about 6 hours. So I prefer the option of trimming the
binding, sheet scanning and sending the member a PDF. I will get some
cool stuff, too... like the Ampex manual, which I'd love to have."

It's a little early to break out the celebratory champagne, but I think
David could go a long way in making Park's dream of seeing all surviving
quad manuals scanned and digitized come true.

Write Mr. Gleason at: david (at) davidgleason.com

Bob Bell