[QuadList] The Beatles, Washington D.C. 1964

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed May 2 18:53:20 CDT 2012

		On May 2, 2012, at 2:45 PM, David Crosthwait wrote:

 > Thank you for the historical perspective on Reeves and Teletape.
In regard to early color playback capabilities, I believe ABC-TV's
first color tape special was played back from NBC Burbank on their
machines, feeding the ABC network.

		I say:

	Yes, NBC provided rare early color tape playback to both ABC and
CBS.  NBC most likely offered this service from both New York and
Burbank, although it was certainly rarely used.  Ed Reitan's
'Bloodshot Eye' CBS logo came from a video feed originated by NBC, New
York for a CBS color special: <http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/studios.html
 >.  The occasion was the 1965 CBS re-airing of the 3 Fred Astaire
specials that originally aired on NBC in 1958-60.  Made in RCA low-
band color, the only way to provide the programs in color was for NBC-
NY to feed them to CBS from their RCA low-band color VTR's.
	David, I know you are familiar with those Astaire specials.   ;)
	Reeves served CBS primarily, as I recall hearing from old-timers when
I worked at R/T in the early 80's.  In the days before the CBS
Broadcast Center was completed in 1965 (built as an all-color
facility), CBS color capability was very limited.

					     NBC Today Show, New York