[QuadList] Ken Zin/Merlin Restored this VR-1000C--More Photos

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 15:57:26 CDT 2012

Yes, Park it was a BIG job,

I talked to my friend John Streets after it was done, and a lot of engineers worked on that project, most of them had never worked on tube equipment.

Since folks who never worked tubes, developed simple trouble shooting habits, like feeling with your hands or fingers for overheated components, the Hi-voltage B+ ( 200V- 450V?) was a constant challenge.
I remember John saying that they had a "wall list" of when each engineer got "bit" by the high voltage for the first time. I told him that they should have posted that with the machine.

I learned about tubes first, and then transistors, my first projects we all tubes.
Later in 64, I designed Hybrid audio tape recorders, with tube front ends and solid state outputs and also solid state front ends and tube output circuits, and then compared costs and performance, before committing to a design.

We had problems in the near South Side in Chicago, (11th & State) with the gain vs bandwidth of Motorola transistors which we used in the first stage after the play/record head.

We could see a good video signal on the output of the first stage, of an audio recorder, so we worked in a screen room for many design tests.

Bye for now, Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)