[QuadList] Quad Manuals Scanned/Digitized In A Swap

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue May 15 16:24:53 CDT 2012

Hi Ted:

That's exactly what I was getting at in my post a little while ago.  And as Dennis pointed out, QC is very important.  It does take time to do it right.

As you know, quad manuals are quite voluminous.  High quality scans can result in huge PDF's.  In addition to setting standards for the scan quality, I'd suggest that some thought also be given to the organization of the files.  Internet bandwidth and speed is less of an issue than in years past, but still a consideration for many folks, so for on-line libraries, think about the possibility of dividing manuals, such as having individual chapters available.  Conceivably, even files for individual schematics could be desirable.  If such an approach is taken, then standardizing the file name conventions would also be a good idea.

You mentioned the LOC.  Do they already have standards established for this sort of thing?  No need to re-invent the wheel if there is an established system that works!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com