[QuadList] Quad Manuals--Parking the paper versions

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Wed May 16 11:48:33 CDT 2012

Ted - I  would give LOC ONE  copy of  each.    It is good what they are
doing... I do not take that away from  them.  BUT... Just like the Naval
Research Labs that  at one tine trashed a major  part of their library, LOC or any
other Governmental agency can not be relied  upon  to be always 100 percent
operating in the  best interest of  history... as people change, policies
change  and unforeseen circumstances and acts of god just plain  happen.

  Do not rely on them  to  share  the  others   get the others  places
immediately in other   locations... and... I am not  necessary asking  for  any
 more  paper work  to archive but I feel it  should NOT all   be under
their  control.

We are no where their size but even we  have alternative beta  sites  we
stash stuff at  for geographical diversity should  catastrophe occur.

Understand  this: LOC is not BAD... they are just people... and   as  with
any group of people  mistakes can be made... mistakes that  can erase access
or existence on material...

BUT  by having diverse  groups of people, ideologically  and
geographically, the chances of all groups making the same   mistake are fairly small

I have no affiliation   with LOC thus  I see  things  though more
independent eyes. Perhaps everyone should.

Ed Sharpe Archivist for SMECC

In a message dated 5/16/2012 8:51:24 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,