[QuadList] Quad Manuals Scanned--Standards

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed May 16 12:08:17 CDT 2012

Hi, Ed,

This seems to be becoming a "crowdsource" approach to scanning Quad and other technical manuals.

We're trying to "Measure Twice, Cut Once" with this scanning effort, and to produce consistent results among multiple resources.

I think that there's a de-facto "standards committee" that's risen above the grass in the baseline, and they've weighed in.

I've asked James Snyder at the Library of Congress (LoC) what specifications and workflow and/or equipment they use for this type of material.  Am waiting for an answer.

With that information in hand, we have the ability to establish some parameters and push ahead with this effort.

If David's willing and his gear can do what's needed, I think he'd be a most welcome addition to the scanning family.

Bottom line:  If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  And we need to identify what "right" is before we crank up the machinery.

ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in conjunction with the Library of Congress