[QuadList] HS-100 disc

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 23:42:47 CST 2012

Hi Don & everyone,

All I can remember was that the HS-100's were Secam units, and they were shipped to the required holding area in Moscow. I believe there were more than 10 units, and we were concerned about what we would do with them, after the Olympics were over.

We had a group of about 6 field engineers who worked the previous year in Moscow, for some Russian Sporting event which was a sorta week long Olympic practice. Our folks got there a week early for setup.

When they were paid in a "Local Script" which was worthless outside of Moscow, they asked the engineering manager if he could arrange storage for a big refrigerator. When he agreed, he took them somewhere and they bought the biggest & best refrigerator and had it moved to the engineering shop and filled it with Danish Tuborg Beer.
When these trial games were over the manager arranged to have the refrigerator stored for a year at his house/apartment.

When president Carter cancelled the USA involvement, the six guys wonder what happened to  their great refrigerator?

Ampex carried Insurance against conditions like this, so we didn't care what happened to re-shipped equipment.

Those were the last HS-100's built to the best of my knowledge.

My first close up experience was with a NTSC HS-200 production system which was demonstrated at the 1968 IBC show in London.

I also  meet the voice of Ampex, Bob Day at that show, which was great for a design engineer from the Elk Grove Village, Illinois group.

This was my first International Trade Show, and we had a VR-7500C and a VR-7800, both running in NTSC, also using the same 60hz motor/alternator power system.

We came back from a late lunch and we had "hum bars" rolling thru everything that was connected to the NTSC system. We traced every inch of wire, made sure there were no grounds added? We started to turn off equipment and removing cables to try to find the problem.

The Chief Engineer from the local Ampex Facility in Reading came out of the backroom smiling and we looked at the monitors and the hum was gone!
We asked him what he had done, and then we all threatened to leave, when he would say anything!
Finally when some of the Brit's ganged up on him, and he said he looked at the motor/alternator system, and saw that the drive belts were bouncing, so he tightened the belt tensioning device a half a turn until the drive belts smoothed out. That slippage was the cause of our "hum bars"

Bye for now,  Bill  Carpenter & Ginger (whoof...whoof)