[QuadList] HS-200

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Mon Nov 12 11:36:29 CST 2012

Pat, Tom and All,

Yes it did appear that the firmly intrenched Ampex customers had a place (and business plan justification) for an HS- 200.

Below is day # 1 when the HS-200 arrived at WFAA-TV:

I believe there were at least three HS-200's in Dallas/Ft. Worth in about 1972. The total number of HS-100 "towers" between the three network affiliates there and MCI Productions was at least four, perhaps more.

NBC Burbank had two HS-200 systems in place as late as 1982 in videotape alone. I am not sure how many HS-100's field had (at least one). I would imagine that TV City had a few.

Editel, TAV, Metromedia, KTLA, VTE, Loyola, Compact and others had HS-100/200 systems in town (Burbank/LA) in the 70's.

Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
david at dcvideo.com
www.dcvideo.com
Follow DC Video on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dcvideo

On Nov 10, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Pat McGowan wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I doubt the HS-200 was a giveaway, but rather a high dollar option added to the HS-100. Perhaps some of the Ampex vets here could provide insight.
> WGN had one in the West Tape room during my first summer VR tour. Don't remember if it had it's own disc stack or shared. West tape was used for WGN Productions which did a lot of work for outside clients using Studio 3. East tape, where I was assigned, was the on-air room with 6 VR-2000's.
> Here's a pic from the internet of KRLD Dallas. There's a 2K, an AVR-1, an HS-100 stack and the HS-200 control desk. Also note the big floor ashtray right next to the VTR. Used to be standard equipment in every tape room I worked. Hard to imagine now.
>
> Pat

Editel, Chicago had an HS-200 in Edit 1.

When I arrived there in 1977, Edit 1 was equipped with a CDL PEC-120 controlling one AVR-1, two VR-1200Cs and an HS-200.  The HS-200 was powered up on-demand.

As 1" C-format began to be introduced, and freeze frames were possible with the Vital Squeezoom and  Ampex ADO, the maintenance costs of the platters and heads grew to more than the income the HS-200 produced.

Already mentioned, WGN had an HS-200.  I remember Editel's HS-200 crashing during an edit session, so my client and I hopped in a cab to Bradley Place where my friend Rich Leigh programmed a slo-mo to a freeze-frame and recorded it back to quad for us.

--
Tom Evans
Park Ridge, IL

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 20:08:52 -0500
From: chill315 at aol.com
To: Quad List <quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com>
Subject: [QuadList] HS-200

We have had the discussion about the slow motion disc.  Several times the HS-200 was mentioned.  I remember the demo reel that was made.  I know that a few places had them. Usually when a large Ampex package was in a place.  One place wasTPC in Pittsburgh.  I visited there to look at the RA-4000 editor that we purchased.  They had AVR1s and the HS-100 that was also used in the remote truck.

Who else had them?

So was the HS-200 a give away to close the deal at some places?  Or did places buy it as a needed item?

Chris Hill