[QuadList] sony 2 incher nov 1961 smpte converntion plus some quadgioodies

J. Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Mon Nov 26 20:24:21 CST 2012

I had a Sony 2" MV-10000 in my studio for several years. It was the vertical rack-mount version.  It fed an old CVS labs TBC.  We used it mostly for matte rolls and graphic inserts.  All the editing was done on a TR-70A fed by a pair of TR-70Bs using a modified TEP (Tape Editing Programmer).  The VTRs had an early EECO timecode system to cue tapes for edit.  A lack of heads finally made me push the MV-10000 out the door.

I remember the biggest problem - they controlled tape-to-head tension with dual capstans - one in front and one behind the scanner.  Varying the phase of the lead capstan would increase or decrease the stretch thru the scanner.  What happened on many occasion was a glitch on the tension detector that made the lead capstan advance phase until the tape would literally strangle the scanner.  Either a snapped tape or a damaged head.  Either way.... bummer!

Ah.... the good old days!

Anybody else actually remember their MV-10000? Sony must have made 6 or 7 of them!

J. Mitch Hopper
Custom Video Systems Co.
Rochester, IL
217-498-8438
id at brainmist.com

It's been lovely but I have to scream now.