[QuadList] japanese Quads Was Ampex VR 420 1/2" VTR/Editor)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Sep 27 09:16:27 CDT 2012

Hi, Bill,

You'd likely have some knowledge of what the Quad sales competition was like in Japan.

What companies made Quads in Japan?

Shibaden did... as evidenced by the SV-7000 machines that John Streets / Al Sturm / Ken Zin, et al at Merlin turned into ME-68s as part of a dubbing system for Vidtronics when computer editor designer Jack Calaway was CE there.
http://www.labguysworld.com/Merlin_ME68.htm

Sony made a prototype in the late 50's spurred by the VR-1000.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/capsule/09/index.html

What can you tell us?

Ted

On Sep 27, 2012, at 5:27 AM, Bill Carpenter wrote:

> Yes, it was built by Toshiba, and is a good machine.
> I believe we were still in our joint marketing agreement with Toshiba and we owned 49% of the Japanese company known as Toamco, which allowed us to sell equipment into Japan ( mainly quads).

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com