[QuadList] Spares vs Supported equipment

Michael COOP mcoop at sl4p.net
Thu Aug 8 21:26:26 CDT 2013

I was in a developing country around 20 years ago (same problems, different weather... don't mention humidity!)
The US LoC / Quad VTR discussion reminded me of a bureaucratic stuff-up that occurred around 1992.

In that particular country - there were too many hands in the pot, so that budgets often went to the 'highest bidder', but during one particularly austere period - the purchase requisition for a number of Beta SP decks and relevant spares for their first operational budget was submitted.

As these things do - the decision process was unusually long winded, and completely void of contact with the actual users.
Around 12-18 months after the requirement was flagged - the approval came through.
For the spares, but not the principle equipment!

It took another 6-12 months to lash the morons that created that mess - to find and allocate funds to buy the actual VTRs... !

My open-reel history includes VR1200/2000/3000 - AVR1/2/3 - VPR-1A&C/2/3/80 - RCA TR-61 & 70C - BCN and whole range of stuff at VTC in Australia during the 70s and 80s.

Love the conversation.
MC
I don't think like other people. Use it.
mcoop at SL4P.net<mailto:mcoop at SL4P.net>