[QuadList] Jack Benny: the Lost Episodes

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 28 01:09:16 CDT 2013

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been watching the new DVD set of Jack
Benny: the Lost Episodes.  It's comprised mostly of live or live-to-tape
shows from the mid-50s to early 60s.  The multi-camera video shows are
sourced from 16mm kinescopes, but it's obvious that many were originally
recorded to Quad videotape.  Why?  They exhibit moderate to severe banding!

Since the kinescope recordings would have been made when the tapes were new
(the films are from Jack's personal collection, now housed at UCLA), I'm
interested to know how this would have slipped past the engineers who made
the kines at CBS.  What were the tape to film facilities like at Television
City in the 50s and 60s?

Is anyone else watching this set?  It's a fascinating look at a top comedy
program of the early Quad years!

Sammy Jones