[QuadList] VMI 7811 process (Was AMPEX MARK TEN HIGH-EFFICIENCYVIDEO HEAD...)

Videomagnetics vmi at csprings.com
Mon Aug 5 12:15:59 CDT 2013

Process 7811
  Ted Barger who was the founder of Videomax and Videomagnetics had a company back east called Forgflo who supported RCA and developed the transformer for the high band heads. This transformer was a solid state rotor/stator configuration with only one moving part. The inductance is set by the gap between the space of the rotor and stator and would never change. This was far superior to the Ampex transformer which has two ferrite rotating cores for each transducer. The inductance is set by a thrust screw and ball bearing. This screw and bearing start to wear out when the head is spinning and as this happens the inductance will change and the ferrite cores start to rub against each other, become hot and causes damage to the cores. It is a long tedious process to rebuild the Ampex transformer. All the cores are wound by hand and require matched sets for thickness and stacked precisely for the proper gap. We charged about $200.00 for converting the Ampex transformer to the solid state. When ever Ampex or CMC would get one of our converted heads in for refurbish they were not happy and would call us to see if we wanted to exchange them. At one point I believe at least CMC would charge their customer extra to swap out the transformer. So as history goes. -----

  iginal Message -----