[QuadList] Library of congress and quads--Don't beat up on the LoC--Budget?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Aug 8 20:54:10 CDT 2013

On Aug 8, 2013, at 5:35 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:
> Ted,
>
> And what is the budget? Is that public record?
>
> Best,
> Park
> C. Park Seward
>
> On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:52 PM, Ted Langdell <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com> wrote:
>
>> The budget reductions of the past two years have had unavoidable negative impacts, such as...
>> A reduction of 50 percent in the Library’s budget for converting its extraordinary collections into digital formats and making them freely available online to the American people.

You can't have a budget unless/until Congress passes one.

President Obama's budget recommendations are public record, but it's Congress that sets the funding levels and authorizes spending for the Library of Congress. (It's not part of the Executive Branch.)

The House and Senate budget proposals are also a matter of public record.

Once committed to public record, so are the multitude of changes that occur as negotiations happen on Capitol Hill.

Digging them up may require some persistent Googling or refreshing of pages when you find relevant pages.

What the Librarian of Congress presented to the House and Senate is a matter of public record:
Library of Congress 2014 Fiscal 2014 Budget Justification, as are previous years.

Here are the Congressional Budget Justifications (CBJs) going back to 2007.
http://www.loc.gov/about/reports/budget/

This page has links to the LoC's Annual Reports, Financial Statements and the above-linked CBJs.

As we often say, "Google is your friend..."

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com