[QuadList] Library of congress and quads

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Fri Aug 9 11:20:12 CDT 2013

Hi Ed,

Certainly the AVR-1 makes great pictures. With the cameras back in the day, I'd suggest both VTRs would look about the same. Test signals would probably reveal any differences.

Here is a short clip of a transfer done through the NEC TBC. I'm not sure what the AVR-1 would do to make a better image. You'll see a TK-42 on the right side of the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXaSWVwNwM

I did do a comparison between the NEC and a "stock" 1200B. Of course the compression on YouTube reduces the differences. Both sides of the split screen look similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95CbfX0puk

The final playback depends on the source tape, of course. I have transferred tapes recorded in the early 80s that looked fantastic. The color bars looked like they came direct from a generator. And then I have tapes that were poorly recorded and contain unrecoverable errors.

I'd like to hear other comments on the AVR-2 and 3. Would those be any better at the LOC?

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747