[QuadList] Fred Niles Studios

Tom Evans tom at tom-evans.com
Sat Aug 17 13:19:08 CDT 2013

Pat, Scott,

Thanks for the posting.

I sat at that switcher many a long day.  I worked at Fred A Niles Studios
from 1973 to 1977.  When I arrived, FAN was a film studio wanting to expand
into video.  It began with a 40-ft TAV truck with a pair of VR-1200s.  Then
we built a tape room and control room on a soundstage, Stage 3.  The truck
went back to the West Coast and we replaced the 1200s with 2 AVR-2s (serial
numbers in the 200's) and later added a third (serial number 6xx).

The early VTRs were built in Redwood City and were tempermental.  Director
of Engineering Bob Olsen discovered some coax shield clippings in the back
planes.  We performed a major vacuuming and got most of the gremlins out.
 The serial number 6xx machine was built in Colorado Springs and was far
less trouble to maintain.  By that time there were improvements in the
audio cable routing and an audio preamp close to the head, so its audio had
a wider dynamic range.

To the left of the switcher sat a Central Dynamics PEC-120, my first edit
system.  It worked on 4K of RAM (core memory) with a 5MB hard drive about
20" in diameter and about 2 feet tall.

An RCA TK-28A with TP-7 and TP-66 projectors along with a Phillips LDH-1
camera for studio shoots rounded out the equipment list while I was there.

-Tom

--
Tom Evans
705 Florence Drive