[QuadList] TEP - CAVEC and other stuff

J. Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Sun Feb 3 21:51:48 CST 2013

Hi David -
Well, I think that is the AE-400 - the next generation.
This is the original, and first, automatic editor RCA made. Didn't have a model number, just call TEP (Tape Editing Programmer with an MI number). No timecode, just a cue-tone benchmark on the cue track and a bunch of DTL counters and registers.  It would output a control at 8 seconds pre-edit. We used timecode to cue the source tapes but still had to lay in the in-edit point "by eye". TEP would allow a preview cycle and then had thumbwheels to add/subtract time to that point.

Like editing with axes and stone knives!

Now - tell me again why they were called "the good old days"?? ;-)

J. Mitch Hopper
Custom Video Systems Co.
Rochester, IL
217-498-8438
id at brainmist.com

It's been lovely but I have to scream now.