[QuadList] NBC Burbank: Au Revior--Historical tidbits about >Burbank's early Quad operation>Local implementation

nickgtv at mindspring.com nickgtv at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 9 19:41:01 CST 2013

In the '80s, my station, KRON-TV in San Francisco, also participated in the primetime shift.  From a practical point of view it presented some issues.  We recorded the primary copy on 1" using 2x90minute reels,our first backup was 3 hour-long betas, and the alternate backup was an automated system using SVHS that automatically recorded and played back programming. If the evening was "normal," playback was fairly straightforward.  Things got complicated if there was some variation between east and west coast programming, or network news broke in to east coast programming.  Then, we'd need to record & turn around the mountain feed.