[QuadList] NBC Burbank: Au Revior--Historical tidbits about Burbank's early Quad operation

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Jan 9 09:26:30 CST 2013

Hi, Dennis,

As I mentioned at the top of the post... I had some questions regarding what happened to the one-hour delay for Central time zone.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the plans for CT delay weren't implemented.  What I would like to know is:

What were they thinking?

Why was it NOT implemented?

My list of reasons did include the need for main/backup record/play capability. As you point out, if one deck went down, the plan as outlined had major problems.

You indicate that NBC began delaying programs for CT in the 80s, concurrent with implementing Ku Band transmission to stations. Why and for what dayparts?

Seems Prime stayed "9, 8 Central time," but I can see some benefits from unifying start times for other dayparts, such as Today and other daytime programs.

Perhaps David's NBC Burbank alums can shed some light on what happened in 1959.

Ted