[QuadList] PTL Club--Quad duplication 1974-78--What do you know?

Glenn Gundlach stratus46 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 03:11:34 CDT 2013

TR-800 audio may have been bad but the TBC was the most pathetic contraption I've ever had to deal with. Set the SCH to 0 at 3pm and it may need adjustment by 3:30. We did come up with a repair that actually fixed the problem by eliminating the XOR phase comparator and replacing it with a charge pump type - ironically built by RCA in the CD4046 PLL chip. After the mod you could set the SCH on Jan 1 and you might want to check it in June. Changing the FF/REW tension from 12 Oz to 9 Oz slowed the acceleration some but got rid of the erratic tendency to snap tapes. The REAL lesson was the the operators LIKED these thing and complained when we got some VPR-6s and BVH-3000s. Video Stockholm syndrome?

G²