[QuadList] 1966 Brigadoon question

David Perrussel diamond4545 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 20 19:26:47 CDT 2013

It's interesting that this subject has been brought up on this forum.

I too am aware of the helical scan version on YouTube and at archive.org

Back in 2004, I looked up the listing on the Intenet Movie Database
(IMDB) about Brigadoon found the E-mail address for the audio engineer
for the show.

I asked him about the availability of the original tape and why it
hasn't been shown since the late 1960s.

Here is his reply:

Hi David,

I'll answer your questions as best I can.

The original was shot on video tape.

It was shot in color.

What happened to the original tape was this: The show was shot at CBS
but was to be aired on ABC. Jim Brady was the CBS tape editor and he was
under the gun to get it ready for air. Keep in mind that in those days
all the tape editing was done by physically cutting the tape, then
splicing it back together after eliminating the unwanted portion. Also,
the video tape of that era was two inches wide and the audio track was
offset from the video track, making editing quite difficult. To say the
least, it was a very time-consuming process and I know for a fact that
Jim had hundreds of physical cuts to make in the program and he got very
little sleep during the time he edited the show. To the best of my
recollection, he worked 20 and more hours per day for at least two weeks
to get it ready for air. I went down to the video tape department
several times to see Jim and believe me, he was walking on his knees by
the time he was finishing up. He just completed the final edit about two
hours before air time, and didn't even have time to make a back-up copy,
he sent it directly over to ABC and they slapped it on a tape machine
and played it. They could have easily made a back-up copy as it was
aired, but they did not do so. After the show was aired, they discovered
that many of the hundreds of splices had begun to fall apart (as often
happened with physical splices), so they never bothered to make a copy
of the show. Too bad, we all thought it was a fine production.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Ray Kemper

So there you go. It probably had so many edits that the tape literally
fell apart after it ran through the machine.

Figured the group would have wanted to see this.

Dave Perrrussel