[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 60, Issue 11

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 21 11:52:56 CDT 2013

		On Jun 21, 2013, at 11:59 AM, Gary Stark wrote:

> If you listen closely to the VO for the Armstrong interstitials, (brought to you by) you'll hear that "network sound" we're used to hearing on the West Coast.

> I had to smile at the reference to "network sound" since we heard the same thing in Ohio. I once wrote to CBS about it and was told that the audio coming out of New York at the time was immediately truncated at 7500 hz (or cycles back then) before going thru any land lines. The highs were further cut to 5k or less by the time they reached any stations. I was thrilled the day our chief engineer told me we would soon be switching to satellite delivery.

		I offer:

	That may have been true at the time Brigadoon was fed to stations, but starting in 1977, AT&T was in the process of replacing all video terminal equipment with a multiplex baseband system that not only provided stations with high fidelity audio, it was capable of feeding stereo audio to stations as well.  Before baseband multiplexing, TV audio was sent SEPARATELY on 5k phone lines.  This old method of transmission had a number of disadvantages.
	Multiplexing provided high-quality (50-15k Hz) low-noise audio with stereo as an option and guaranteed video-to-audio synchronization.  This was because the audio travelled the same path with the video.  It didn't last because networks changed over to satellite distribution in the early '80's, making AT&T's microwave/coaxial cable distribution obsolete.

					NBC Today Show, New York