[QuadList] EOT--John Fletcher, Harpers Ferry, WV--March 9, 2013

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Mar 31 14:35:32 CDT 2013

Greetings from California.

We are sorry to learn from his father this morning that VTR/ATR collector-restorer John Fletcher, passed away in his sleep on March 9, 2012.  He was 38.

John Fletcher, Harpers Ferry, WV  N3NFO, joined the QuadList on May 23, 2010, and had been a member of the Old VTRs group on Yahoo since Feb. 4, 2009.

John attended our Quad Videotape Group Brunch in Fredericksburg, VA, Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010.

John is in the center of this picture. He drove two hours to attend the brunch, and brought a manual for the Ampex VR-1000 to share.

L-R, there's that salesman Ted Langdell pitching VR-2000's again, John Fletcher, and TV Technology  Technology Editor James O'Neal, who had been restoring AVR-2's at the library of Congress.

The seemingly ever-present Gary Adams is behind the camera for this photo.

John drove over with a Chevy Blazer full of 1" IVC format videotapes, which he obtained along with these IVC machines several weeks prior to our Brunch.

Over the course of his time on the QuadList, John provided helpful information, offered equipment and manuals (often just for the cost of shipping).

John's last post to the QuadList was Jan. 27, 2013.

His last post to the OldVTRs list was March 26, 2013.

While we know of John's interest in collecting and restoring old audio and video tape equipment and his training as an electronic engineer (BS-EET), his ongoing passion was The Appalachian Trail.

John volunteered for and was then hired by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, (ATC.) He helped GPS map parts of it, and maintained a section near his home.

John combined his interests by transferring historic videotapes for the ATC, making them accessible to the organization and others interested in the trail's history.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93513-John-Fletcher-Friend-of-the-A-T

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/get-involved/volunteer/volunteer-in-memoriam/2013/03/13/john-fletcher---appalachian-trail-conservancy-and-potomac-appalachian-trail-club

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-fletcher/62/492/b45

His AT passion began when his father, Bob, took a backpacking trip on the trail when he was 13.  Both of them continued to hike the trail, and make repairs.

We understand his survivors include his parents in Denton, MD and a sister.

Our condolences to them and others on these lists that knew John through them,

(530) 301-2931
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in conjunction with the Library of Congress