[QuadList] Ampex VR 3000

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:21:27 CST 2013

Hi David:

How well does the reel servo work with the combination of metal and plastic reels on your machine?  The alignment procedure suggests using only the metal reels, and from my experience, that has worked best.  That's why we were seeking some additional metal reels for the VR-3000 that will be operating at NAB.

For those not familiar with the design, the reel servo is supposed to do most of the work of moving the tape with the capstan only used for fine correction, thus using the very least amount of power.

At NAB, MBT's (Museum of Broadcast Technology) VR-3000 will be in Booth L7. That location is not on the convention floor.  It's in the lobby between the North and Central halls.  It's a somewhat unusual machine in that it is very late production (1976) and has all of the features and updates of a VR-3000B except for the additional audio.  I hope all of you that will be attending the show will stop by to see it in action!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com