[QuadList] TV Station Engineering Report

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 20 21:00:34 CDT 2013

		On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:20 PM, David Crosthwait wrote:

> The photo I posed today was from NBC N.Y. supplied by a former editor who worked there at that time, now out here. Judging by the dreaded 3M foam flange, I would guess that shot was sometime between 1972 and 1976. I will defer all deciphering of the machine and edit bay layouts to Dennis and the other editors who used to work there as I never set foot into 30 Rock.

		I offer:

	Actually David, I noticed one thing that leads me to believe that the photo was taken in 1979.  There is a custom-built machine assignment panel visible in the over bridge console of the left VTR.  If you look closely, you'll notice that it has two adjacent knobs on it mounted on a white background.  Those panels were modified, starting in 1978.  I personally did many of the modifications to them.  After I left NBC in Jan. 1979, new panels were made with the mods already installed.  The assignment panel in that photo is one of the later ones.
	The original assignment panel had only ONE knob on it; the right hand one.  The function provided by the left knob (the 'PL Selector') was originally handled by a pushbutton matrix, which can be seen here:		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3403165017/>
	The pushbutton matrix was quite prone to hanging up and was very unreliable.  So it was replaced with the rotating switch similar to the one already on the panel.

					NBC Today Show, New York