[QuadList] Xsistors--The Ampex 014-506 is a 2N2501

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:14:06 CDT 2013

Hi Ted:

Both Ken and I are correct.  The parts catalog I generally use for quad parts is from 1983.  What happened in a number of cases is that Ampex changed the actual part number through the years.  So, I went back to double check myself and here's what I discovered in various editions of the Ampex parts catalog.....

1967 - 2N2501
1983 - SM3187
1995 - CD446

If the parts have date codes, it might be a clue as to the actual part number, but it probably doesn't matter.  So long as the Ampex part number is the same, they are supposed to be interchangeable.  When an Ampex part number was discontinued, the catalog referenced a new number if there was a replacement available, but in this case, they just updated the same part.  Ken may be able to verify this, but my observations have indicated that changes could be due to obsolescence, vendor/manufacturer changes, or device performance improvement.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com