[QuadList] The Closing of BBC Television Centre

David Dean dixie at westpoint.tv
Mon Mar 25 08:49:58 CDT 2013

Hi List

As some of you may already know BBC Television Centre in Wood Lane London
has closed its doors for the last time, as a former employee there I have to
say it bought a tear to my eye. In it’s Quad heyday there were at least 40
2” Quads there with VR 1200s, VR2000s, TR70s,  AVR2s, 1 AVR1 and a Slomo
disk recorder.  This was my introduction to all this technology in the late
1970s working in the “Television Recording Group” (Telecine and VT).

It has been sold to a property company for £200,000,000 although they are
“mothballing” 3 studios, one of which was the biggest tv studio in Europe.
One comment I heard was if they took all the copper wiring out the place it
would probably fall down, and cause a severe dip in the price of copper!! I
for one will sadly miss the old place, I was there for 8 years and was proud
to have worked in the building.

David Dean

Westpoint Television

Now with Snell Shakeout