[QuadList] Ampex Pinch Roller removal procedure

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:02:36 CDT 2013

Hi Buddy:

Excellent info from Larry and Chris.  I can add a suggestion to what Chris
said about alignment.  I tighten the screws just to the point that the yoke
will still move with some resistance.  Then manually press it against the
capstan by applying pressure to the arm.  This will "seat" the roller
against the capstan by positioning the yoke so the roller is perfectly
aligned with the capstan.  Then release the arm and fully tighten the
screws.  The yolk can move when tightened, so be sure to check the alignment
again, and be certain to do it by hand, not by actuating the machine.  When
you engage it by hand and use the light as Chris suggested, you can see if
it is perfect or not.  If you engage the machine, the greater pressure
exerted by the solenoid can compress the roller and hide the misalignment.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com