[QuadList] Mk-XX Quad Head Clean-up

Steve Burgess saburgess at btinternet.com
Mon May 6 17:53:04 CDT 2013

For all you AVR-1 and ACR-25 fans, here's a pic of my recently acquired Mk-XX head undergoing inspection and cleaning of the trim parts (some removed parts not shown in pic).  Next to the essential 7/64 hex key is a spring from the underside which is attached at one end to a hook which screws into the main casting; unfortunately the other end had come loose and I can't figure where it goes (without fouling the bar with the keyhole slot - second pic).

This is one of two Ampex projects I have underway - the second is the restoration of a VPR-80.  I had my first look at the deck components today - first surprise was that the one-piece trim panel was plastic rather than metal!  I'm sure the VPR-2Bs I used to work on had metal trim - but then the VPR-80 was a cut-down model.  Everything looks in pretty good condition other than a shiny pinch wheel (to be expected, I guess) and the right hand rubber "bumper, tension arm stop" was a gooey mess (strangely, the left hand one was ok).  I think the urethane coating on the capstan is ok.  The head hour meter reads 4,221.3 hours - which strikes me as quite low.

Steve Burgess