[QuadList] Johnny Carson clips

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 18 13:40:29 CST 2013

		On Nov 17, 2013, at 6:32 PM, Scott Thomas wrote:

> Dennis,
> I always enjoy your photos!
> Is that a window I see behind where the BVH-1000 is about to go in the second picture?

		I answer:

	Yes, the videotape area ran long the north side of the Studio Building (along 50th Street) on the 5th floor.  If you were working at the back of the TCR-100's, you had a nice view from those windows of Radio City Music Hall.  The only floors in the Studio Building with windows are the 2nd and 5th floors.  The 5th floor is vertically in the center between the studios, which were located above and below.  Historically, the 5th floor has always been the 'core' of the facility.  Currently in the old videotape area where these photos were taken, NBC's graphics department is now located.  The windows are no longer covered with the backs of VTR's.      ;)

> I'm surprised they're not RCA branded.

		I say:

	This was taken at the (brief) time when RCA did not have a branded Sony version; summer of 1978.  In fact, I'm not sure but I don't think RCA branded the Sony BVH-1000 at all.  I think that program started with the BVH-1100, or BVH-1100A.

> Did NBC ever have any RCA TR-800's?

		I think:

	Not to my knowledge.  But during the heyday of 1-inch Type C, I was not working at NBC so I don't know for sure if they ever had any.  Frankly, I doubt it.  If there was no good reason to replace a VTR with a newer model, they would not do it.
	When I first worked in VTR Maintenance in 1978-79, there were mostly TR-70B quads on the 5th floor.  As far as I know, they never had any TR-600's, a later RCA quad machine.  There was no reason to ever get any because they had a full compliment of excellent TR-70B's (they also had 4 TR-70C's and 6 Ampex VR-2000's).
	Like the TR-600 quad, I believe the TR-800's came too late to the party for NBC to ever install any.  By the time the TR-800 became available, NBC was already fully stocked with either Sony- or RCA-branded Type C VTR's.

					    NBC Today Show, New York