[QuadList] Ampex Quad Rotary Transformers

Steve Burgess saburgess at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 27 12:28:33 CDT 2013

Would anyone care to offer a short explanation of the rotary transformer arrangements in Ampex Quad head assemblies?

I've nearly finished stripping down (as far as I dare) a Mk-XX for cleaning - far more impressive, mechanically, than I'd imagined.  The pic shows the rotary transformer but I can't quite see how this works, with the four transformer windings connected to the D-type apparently positioned one behind the other along the motor shaft, and the video heads wired to terminal posts arranged around the circumference of the green plastic bit (embossed with the head numbers).

And don't those D-types look very "clunky" in these days of 0.5mm pitch connectors?!

Thanks

Steve