[QuadList] Fwd: Pink Panther Pulse

Wayne Watson wayne.watson at sait.ca
Sun Sep 29 18:40:28 CDT 2013

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Garry Shepherd <Garry.Shepherd at sait.ca<mailto:Garry.Shepherd at sait.ca>>
Date: 29 September, 2013 5:25:50 PM MDT
To: Wayne Watson <Wayne.Watson at sait.ca<mailto:Wayne.Watson at sait.ca>>
Subject: RE: [QuadList] Pink Panther Pulse

It's only because the phase of the modulated pulses gave a pink image on a color monitor. As far as the panther goes, I would suspect it was because that was a popular cartoon at the time the signal was introduced and it sounded clever.

Garry Shepherd
Broadcast Systems Technology Instructor
SAIT Polytechnic
1301 - 16 Ave. NW
Calgary, AB
T2M 0L4
403-284-8981
e-mail: garry.shepherd at sait.ca<mailto:garry.shepherd at sait.ca>
For information about the SAIT Broadcast Systems Technology program see: http://broadcast.sait.ca

The SAIT Broadcast Systems Technology (BXST) program and the Western Association of Broadcast Engineers (WABE) need your help to recruit technologists to join our industry. If you want to help please email info at wabe.ca<mailto:info at wabe.ca>

Anyone know why the figure of the Modulated Pedestal Signal in the VPR-80 Service Manual (Part II Section 3, Video System) in the -03 version of the manual was originally titled Pink Panther Pulse in the -01 version of the manual?

Recalling the original cartoon series I used to watch as a kid, didn't our character ascend some steps outside a night club or similar in the title sequence?  Maybe that's the connection...

Steve