[QuadList] Shading tonight--What were the practices in past decades?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Sep 28 17:18:44 CDT 2013

Hi, Dennis,

On Sep 28, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Dennis Degan wrote:

> I sheepishly say:
>
> 	Gee, the last time I shaded cameras was in 1984 for Kate & Allie.  But that was back in the days when you had to do convergence AND adjust color/levels.  Today's shaders got it SO easy!    ;)
>
> 			Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
> 					    NBC Today Show, New York

Do you remember how many cameras were you simultaneously shading back then?

The complexity may have gone down in a number of regards, but the quantity of cameras a video operator has fingers on seems to be more.

Park and his #2 split ten evenly.  Tim told me off-list that for his game—Univ. of Nevada Reno Wolfpack—airing today at 5pm Pacific on CBS Sports Network:

> I have been assigned the end zone cameras, and the two roving cameras to shade. I will also be shading small robotic camera called a ‘cueball’.

That's five. I'd guess there were another five his V-1 was covering.

> In addition to the hard and roving cameras, and the cueball, we are also using a couple of GoPro cameras as POV cameras. It should be an interesting game!

I'd suspect that while the GoPros were on framestores, someone was watching video and black levels... so that's two more, for possibly 12.

What was the general practice for sports, and for studio settings as we go back decades toward TK-44's, PC-70's and TK-41s?

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com