[QuadList] Nixon resigns speech but with the open mike and camerabefore the actual spee

Alan Kline alan at snugglebunny.us
Sun Aug 10 17:02:39 CDT 2014

On 8/9/2014 11:33 AM, Ed Sharpe via QuadList wrote:

> ok... why were everyone  besides  CBS personal tossed out  during  the  filming?

My guess? Nixon may have suspected that if there were family and/or
staff members in the room during the broadcast, they would be very
emotional, and that would make it more difficult for him to finish the
speech. Presumably the CBS crew would be able to remain more detached.

Interesting thing I learned this morning (aside from the fact that CBS
handled the pool)--the CBS camera technician in the Oval Office for that
speech (I believe his name was George Nicholas) was interviewed this
morning on "Face The Nation". Not a tough "get" for FTN--Mr. Nicholas is
still with CBS-Washington and operates Bob Schieffer's straight-on
camera every Sunday morning.

ak